Green Cilantro Sauce
Fantastic sauce for grilled anything.
- Source: Low Fat Lifestyle
- Formatted by Chupa Babi in MC: 07.12.07
- Makes ¾ cup
- ½ cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ cup packed fresh Italian parsley
- 2 shallots
- 1 large clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons peeled and grated fresh gingerroot
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes (more if you like it very spicy)
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Have ready a bowl of ice water.
- In a small saucepan of boiling water blanch cilantro and parsley 10 seconds and drain in a sieve.
- Refresh herbs in ice water and drain again in sieve.
- Chop shallots and garlic.
- In a small nonstick skillet cook shallots, garlic, gingerroot, cumin, and red pepper flakes in 1 tablespoon of the water and oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until shallots are softened.
- In a blender purée shallot mixture, herbs, remaining ¼ cup water, and soy sauce until smooth, about 1 minute, and season with salt and pepper.
- Sauce may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
- Bring sauce to room temperature before serving.
- Just before serving, stir in lemon juice.
Per 1 tablespoon serving:
- 9 Calories | trace Fat (39.8% calories from fat) | trace Saturated Fat | trace Protein | 1g Carbohydrate | trace Dietary Fiber | 0mg Cholesterol | 174mg Sodium.
- Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch) | 0 Lean Meat | 0 Vegetable | 0 Fruit | 0 Fat.
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/