Green Rice from the Public Health Cookbook -- original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Cook Time: About 1 Hour
- Serves: 8
- ½ cup tightly packed fresh cilantro sprigs
- ½ cup tightly packed spinach leaves, stemmed and thoroughly washed
- 2½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- non-fat cooking spray
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1½ cups long-grain rice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place cilantro, spinach and broth in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Spray a large saucepan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 8 minutes or until softened and translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add rice and stir to coat evenly.
- Add spinach mixture from blender and bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Turn off heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Add cayenne pepper and fluff with a fork.