Grilled Beef Salad
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 lbs Beef rib eye steaks, 1 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup asian fish sauce (naam pla)
- 1-2 teaspoon coarsely ground dried red chilies
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon toasted rice powder
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- fresh mint sprigs
1. Dissolve 1 tablespoon Sugar in soy sauce and put in a large resealable plastic bag and add steaks, pressing out excess air.
2. Marinate, turning once, chilled, at least one hour.
3. Preheat grill.
4. Drain steaks, discarding marinade, and grill 4 to 6 inches over glowing coals about 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare.
5. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting into 1/4-inch thick slices.
6. Toss Steak with remaining teaspoon Sugar and remaining ingredients.
7. Toasted rice Powder: toast 1/4 cup raw sticky or jasmine rice in a dry small heavy skillet over moderate heat, shaking skillet, until golden, 4 to 6 minutes.
8. Cool rice and grind to a coarse powder with a mortar and pestle or in an electric coffee grinder.