Hearty Buffet Chili
Tomato Sauce, Canned by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 6
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground bison
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 to 2 cups cooked rice
- ½ cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese (optional)
- ½ cup chopped onion (optional)
- ½ cup dairy sour cream (optional)
- In a large saucepan, cook beef, the ⅓ cup onion and the garlic until beef is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat.
- Stir tomato sauce, undrained tomatoes, chili powder, salt, crushed red pepper and black pepper into browned meat in saucepan. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add beans with chili sauce to saucepan. Cover; simmer for 30 minutes.
- In small individual bowls, set out remaining ingredients. For each serving, place some of the cooked rice in a soup bowl. Top with chili mixture and cheese, then some of the ½ cup onion and the sour cream, if you like.