Hearty Meat Pizza
Contributed by Jenn B aka Mom2Sam and Tiny at World Recipes Y-Group
- Source: Better Homes and Gardens
- Prep: 40 minutes | Bake: 20 minutes
- Makes 6 to 8 Servings
- 2¾ to 3¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package active dry yeast
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water (120°F to 130°F)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- ½ Pound ground beef and/or bulk Italian sausage or pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 x 3½-ounce package sliced pepperoni
- 1 cup cut-up Canadian-style bacon
- 1 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, margarine, or butter
- 1 x 14½-ounce can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 x 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed.
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed (optional)
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Cook the ¾ cup chopped onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon oil.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, bay leaf, basil, oregano, fennel seed (if using), sugar and pepper.
- Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; Simmer, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes or to desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl combine 1¼ cups of the flour, the yeast, and the salt.
- Add warm water and 2 tablespoons oil.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
- Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Using a spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total).
- Divide dough in half. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Grease two 11- to 13-inch pizza pans or baking sheets.
- On a lightly floured surface roll each half of dough into a circle 1 inch larger than pizza pan. Transfer to pans.
- Build up edges slightly. Flute edges, if desired. Prick dough generously with a fork. Do not let rise.
- Bake in a 425°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook ground beef and/or sausage and the 1 cup chopped onion until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain fat.
- Spread pizza sauce over hot crusts.
- Sprinkle with meat mixture.
- Top with pepperoni, Canadian-style bacon, and green sweet pepper.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan or Romano cheese.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes more or until cheese melts and sauce is bubbly.
- Make-ahead tip: Prepare pizza sauce; cool. Transfer to freezer container. Seal, label, and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in refrigerator before using.
- Make-ahead tip: Prepare pizza dough; divide into 2 equal portions. Place in plastic freezer bags. Seal, label, and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in refrigerator before using.