Hershey's Chocolate Peppermint Log
From Recidemia English
- Heat oven to 375 °F.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl on high speed of mixer until soft peaks form; gradually add 1/2 cup Sugar,
- beating until stiff peaks form.
- Beat egg yolks and vanilla in medium bowl on medium speed 3 minutes.
- Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup Sugar; continue beating 2 additional minutes.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; on low speed, add to egg yolk mixture alternately
- with water, beating just until batter is smooth.
- Using rubber spatula, gradually fold chocolate mixture into beaten egg whites until well blended.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly.
- Immediately loosen cake from edges of pan; invert on clean towel sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Carefully peel off foil.
- Immediately roll cake in towel, starting from narrow end; place on wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare PEPPERMINT FILLING.
- Carefully unroll cake; remove towel.
- Spread cake with filling; reroll cake.
- Glaze with chocolate GLAZE.
- Refrigerate until just before serving.
- Cover; refrigerate leftover dessert.
- Beat 1 cup (1/2 pt.) cold whipping cream in medium bowl until slightly thickened.
- Add 1/4 cup powdered sugar 1/4 cup finely crushed hard peppermint candy or 1/2 teaspoon mint extract and a few drops red food color, if desired; beat until stiff.
- Melt butter in small saucepan over very low heat; add cocoa and water, stirring until smooth and slightly thickened.
- Do not boil.
- Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating until smooth.
- About 3/4 cup glaze.