Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: Southern Living 1998 Holiday Entertaining
- Prep: 35 minutes | Stand 8 hours
- Makes 3 trees
- 1 (16-oz) package powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp meringue powder
- 6 tbsp warm water
- 6 (4-inch) sugar ice-cream cones
- 12 (5 inch) red and white candy canes, coarsely crushed
- 12 (5 inch) green and white candy canes, coarsely crushed
- edible glitter or sparkling sugar (optional)
- Beat powdered sugar, meringue powder, and 6 tbsp warm water at low speed with electric mixer until blended.
- Beat at high speed 4 – 5 minutes until stiff peaks form.
- If icing is too stiff, add additional warm water, ¼ tsp at a time, until desired consistency.
- Spoon icing into a zip-top plastic bag, seal.
- Snip a ¼ inch hole in one corner of bag.
- Pipe 2 rows of points around 1 ice cream cone, beginning at large end and working upward to resemble a tree.
- Sprinkle with crushed candy canes and if desired, edible glitter or sparkling sugar.
- Invert two ice cream cones stacking one on top of the other, repeat decorating procedure.
- Invert remaining 3 ice cream cones stacking on on top of the other, repeat decorating procedure.
- Let stand 8 hours.
- Store in a cool dry place up to 1 month.
For fuller trees, double icing recipe, and repeat piping procedure before adding crushed candy canes.