Hot Lentil Soup
You can also use red or yellow lentils, which require less cooking time
- ½ cup brown lentils
- 2 tablespoons ghee or oil
- 1 medium finely chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 large potato, cut in small cubes
- 2 large chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon chile flakes
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 4 cups water
- 1 – 2 teaspoons tamarind concentrate
- 150 g finely shredded cabbage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves or mint to garnish
- Place the lentils in a medium pan, cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain well.
- Heat the ghee in a large pan; add the onion and ginger and cook over medium heat until deep brown.
- Add the potato and tomato, and cook for 5 minutes, then add the coriander, cumin, turmeric, chile and coconut and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the drained lentils and the water and bring to the boil.
- Simmer until the lentils and potato begin to break up.
- Add the tamarind and cabbage.
- Cook until the cabbage is soft.
- Season with black pepper to taste.
- Serve with chopped coriander or mint as garnish, if desired, and chapattis.