When I make these, I use half ground round and half ground pork. I use shortening in place of the lard; although my husband would prefer the lard.
- Cook the onion in lard until soft, then add paprika.
- Then combine the ground pork, salt, pepper and rice.
- Then pour the onion mixture over this and mix very well.
- Remove the core from the cabbage and steam until the leaves just wilt.
- Separate the leaves and remove the back rib from the cabbage with a knife.
- Then wrap meat mixture in cabbage and place in a pot.
- Pour tomato soup (I prefer the ketchup) over the rolls and add enough water to cover and some to spare.
- Boil for 45 to 60 minutes.