Icelandic Three-grain Brown Bread
This soda bread recipe comes from an Icelandic farmhouse. It's dark,delicious, and full of wholesome grains. It's also excellent toasted.
- Makes 2 loaves
- 4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup dark rye flour
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2½ cup buttermilk
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup butter, softened
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease two 9x5x3 inch loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, cream together the brown sugar and butter.
- Mix the rolled oats,rye flour, whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, salt, and baking soda together in another bowl, then add the creamed mixture along with the buttermilk.
- Mix until well blended.
- Divide the mixture between the two pans and smooth the tops.
- Bake 1 hour or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Turn out of pans and cool on racks.