Indian Lamb Chops and Rice
Makes 6 servings
- 6 lamb loin chops, 1-inch thick (1½ to 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 x 8-ounce can pineapple chunks, drained and halved (reserve juice)
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped cashew nuts
- Cook chops in butter over high heat 4 to 5 minutes on each side in large skillet.
- Remove; set aside.
- Pour off fat; return 1 tablespoon to skillet.
- Add onion, garlic, garam masala and salt; cook until onion is tender crisp.
- Return chops to skillet; add broth.
- Cover and simmer 40 to 45 minutes, or until lamb is tender.
- Skim fat from broth.
- Add tomatoes, green pepper and pineapple.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water; add to skillet.
- Cook until green pepper is tender crisp and sauce is clear and thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook sugar and ginger with ⅓ reserved juice.
- Toss with rice.
- Serve meat and sauce over rice mixture.
- Garnish with cashews.