Indian Spiced Chilled Tomato Soup
Wonderfully aromatic, cardamom adds a distinct and delicious Indian flavor to this tasty soup, which is also good served warm in cooler months.
- From "Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group"
- Source: South Beach Diet Taste of Summer Meal Plan
- Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Chill time: 30 minutes
- Makes 4 (1½ cup) servings
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 (28-oz) can whole peeled tomatoes, with juices
- 1⅓ cups low-fat or non-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add cardamom, cumin, and cayenne; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in onion, garlic, and salt; reduce the heat to medium and cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and their juices, bring to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Cool briefly and then stir in yogurt and lime juice.
- Transfer half of the tomato mixture to a blender and puree until smooth; pour into a large bowl.
- Repeat with remaining tomato mixture; pour into the bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Serve chilled.
- 150 Calories | 5g Fat | 1.5g Saturated fat | 6g Protein | 17g Carbs | 2g Fiber | 600mg Sodium
- "Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends