Iranian Barley Soup
Found online at an Iranian student website and posted per a recipe request.
- 1 cup dried barley
- ½ cup dry green lentils or red lentils
- 6 cups water
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon dried mint or parsley
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup of cooked chickpeas or red kidney beans
- Put everything into a pot and then bring to a gentle boil.
- Simmer for 1¼ hours, stirring occasionally.
- Variations: Fry the onions in the oil before putting them in the pot.
- Add 1 cup of cooked chickpeas or red kidney beans a few minutes before serving