Johnson's Escalloped Onions
This is delicious with roasts and steaks. Nice company side dish. From "Catsrecipes Y-Group"
- 6 large onions
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6 slices processed Swiss cheese, cut in pieces
- 6 slices buttered, dry French bread, cut in large cubes
- Cook onions in boiling water to cover for 10 – 12 minutes until tender but firm.
- At the same time, melt butter in saucepan; remove.
- Blend flour, salt and pepper; slowly stir in milk and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook until boils and thickens (1 minute boil).
- Stir in cheese; low heat until melted.
- Pour over onions and stir.
- Arrange bread cubes around edge.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- "Catsrecipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/Catsrecipes/ Catsrecipes Y-Group