Kiwifruit Lime Tarts
Fruit and Vegetable Recipes I by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 18 to 24
- 1 x 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon grated lime peel
- tart shells (see recipe below)
- 3 or 4 kiwifruit, pared and sliced
- ⅓ to ½ cup apple jelly, melted (optional)
- In small bowl of electric mixer, beat cream cheese, sugar, lime juice, and peel until very light and fluffy.
- Spoon or pipe about 1 tablespoon of mixture into each tart shell, refrigerate.
- When ready to serve, top each with one slice of kiwifruit.
- Drizzle with about 1 teaspoon melted apple jelly.
- Return to refrigerator.
- Prepare pastry according to favorite recipe for 2 crust (9-inch) pie.
- For each shell press about 1 tablespoon dough into 2-inch fluted tart shell pans. Prick bottoms of shells.
- Bake at 400°F for 12 to 13 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool. Remove from pans.
- Filling may become runny if left for any length of time with the kiwifruit. Add kiwifruit only when ready to serve.