Kofta with Sunflower Seed Butter for the Clamshell Grill
Modeled after the Middle Eastern dish kofta and designed for cooking on skewers in a clamshell grill or Template:W this recipe makes a savory combination of traditional ingredients with sunflower seed butter for a main dish that goes well with rice and grilled vegetables.
- ground lamb or veal - 1 lb / .5 kg will generously cover six 8-inch skewers
- minced onion
- minced garlic
- ground cumin seeds
- ground coriander seeds
- sunflower seed butter
- salt to taste
- Combine the onion, garlic, spices, and sunflower seed butter in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add the ground lamb or veal and fold in the spice mixture. Allow to sit for several hours or overnight.
- Roll meat mixture into finger shapes and pierce lengthwise with metal or wooden skewers.
- Apply oil or other anti-stick agent to grill surface if necessary and turn on grill.
- Place skewers on grill for five to ten minutes or until cooked through.
Like most spices coriander is best if purchased as whole seeds and ground as needed. If allowed to sit in the meat mixture for this dish as instructed above all that's necessary is to crush the coriander seeds on a plate with a large spoon.
Sunflower seed butter is available in some whole foods stores in North America. Its use in this dish is an innovation rather than a traditional ingredient. Try substituting peanut butter, walnut butter, or other seed butters also.
Serve on a bed of rice or couscous topped with diced tomato.