Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook time:10 minutes
Serves: in the crusty crab
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 2 tbsp finely chopped celery
- 4 – 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 lb frozen imitation crab meat, (defrosted and finely chopped in a food processor)
- ¾ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise (plus 1 cup for dipping sauce)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 3 tbsp ketchup (for dipping sauce)
- Sauté the onions and celery in 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add the thyme, lower the heat, and cook until the onions are translucent.
- In a large bowl combine the crabmeat, sautéed onions and celery, bread crumbs, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, egg, salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Shape into rounds by using a small ice cream scoop, then gently pat flat.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large skillet. Working in batches (2 to 3 crab cakes at a time) place the crab cakes in a skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. You may need to add more oil for the second and third batches.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Transfer the crab cakes to the baking pan and bake for 10 minutes. The crab cakes can be kept in a warm oven for approximately 30 minutes, or they may be reheated at serving time. Serve with a kid-friendly dipping sauce. Mix 1 cup of mayonnaise with 3 tablespoons of ketchup. Try eating it with bread.