Lenten Honey Cookies
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Beat together shortening and oil until light.
- Gradually add orange juice and sugar, beating until well blended.
- Sift together baking powder, soda and all purpose flour.
- Add these sifted dry ingredients gradually, beating thoroughly.
- Add nuts and pastry flour.
- Knead in some of the flour if necessary on a lightly floured board.
- Roll into six inch long strips, one inch thick.
- Cut diagonally into one-inch long pieces.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Combine ingredients in a saucepan and simmer 10 minutes.
- Skim and cool.
- Dip hot cookies in cooled syrup, using a slotted spoon.