Lentil Sausage Stew
This hearty stew is chock-full of protein-packed lentils, vegetables and tasty turkey kielbasa. It's big on flavor but easy on the budget.
- Patti St. Antoine, Broomfield, Colorado
From "Catsrecipes Y-Group"
- 8 servings.
- 1 pound fully cooked turkey kielbasa, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 can (14½ ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- In a Dutch oven, cook the kielbasa, carrots, celery, onion and garlic in oil until vegetables are almost tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the water, potatoes, broth, lentils, salt, cumin and cayenne; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes and chilies; heat through.
One serving (1-1/3 cups) equals 268 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 1,236 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
- "Catsrecipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/Catsrecipes/ Catsrecipes Y-Group