Light Country-fried Steak and Gravy
Think traditional Southern cooking is always fattening? Here's a recipe for country fried steak with all of the flavor and very little fat. Good fixins!
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Original recipe
- Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 pound lean round steak, cut into 4 thin slices
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon pepper, divided
- 38 soda crackers (1 sleeve), crushed
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) container egg substitute
- 2 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ cup chopped Italian parsley (optional)
- Flatten steaks to ¼-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Sprinkle evenly with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Combine crushed crackers, ¾ cup flour, and red pepper.
- Stir together egg substitute and ½ cup milk.
- Dip steaks into egg mixture; dredge in cracker mixture, pressing lightly into cracker mixture.
- Cook steaks in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Remove steaks from skillet; drain on paper towels and keep warm.
- Whisk together remaining 1½ cups milk, remaining 2 tablespoons flour, and remaining each of ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Pour mixture into reserved drippings in skillet; cook over medium- high heat, whisking constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve gravy over steaks.
- Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
- Cooking tip: if you like a thicker gravy add more flour or reduce the amount of milk.
Per serving (⅙ recipe):
- Calories 288 (35% from fat) | fat 11.1g (sat 2.1g) | protein 24.0g | carb 23.2g | fiber 0.8g | chol 39mg | iron 3.8mg | sodium 435mg