Lotus Leaf Rice Roll
- 3 whole lotus leaves, rehydrated
- 12 fresh or dried shiitake Mushrooms
- 11/2 cups raw glutinous (sticky) rice
- 2 cups sliced bamboo shoots
- 1 2/3 cups warm water
- 1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1. Soak lotus leaves in water for 20 minutes. Soak dried shiitake Mushrooms, if using, in boiling water for 30 minutes to reconstitute, and cut into thin strips when soft. Alternatively, wash fresh shiitake Mushrooms, and cut into thin strips.
4. Meanwhile, use a clean dishcloth or paper towel to wipe off soaked lotus leaves. Cut each of the leaves into 4 small pieces, and place flat on work surface.
5. Divide cooked rice mixture into 12 equal portions. Make rolls by placing rice mixture on one end of leaf. Fold sides in over filling, tucking leaf in tightly and rolling carefully. Tuck ends underneath.
6. Place rolls in a steamer, and steam for 10 minutes, or until heated through. Remove from steamer, and serve.