- All pastry ingredients should be allowed to come to room temperature if they have been in the refrigerator.
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and spice.
- Mix the water, butter, milk, and egg together.
- Gradually add this mixture to the flour while kneading into dough.
- Knead until a smooth and elastic dough is formed for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Let dough rest for several minutes.
- Divide the dough into several hand-sized pieces.
- Roll or press the pieces into circles about ½ inch thick.
- Cut circles into halves or quarters.
- Heat a few cups of vegetable oil to 300°F in a skillet.
- Fry the doughs in the hot oil, turning a few times, until they are golden brown all over.
- Place on paper towels to drain.
- Serve warm.