Mango Dumpling Roll-ups
- Peel and slice mangos.
- Measure 3 cups, then coarsely chop and toss with lemon juice.
- Combine sugar with water, butter and cinnamon in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then simmer for 3 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- With a pastry blender, cut in the shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle with ice water, a little at a time, tossing with a fork until mixture holds together in a ball.
- On a floured pastry cloth, roll out dough to a 12x10 inch rectangle.
- Spread with 1 tbsp softened butter.
- Sprinkle with ⅓ cup sugar and ½ tsp cinnamon.
- Drain mangos and spread over dough, leaving a 1 inch border all around.
- Roll up in a jelly roll fashion.
- Moisten the seams with water and pinch to seal.
- Slice off the ragged ends.
- Cut remaining roll into 8 slices, about 1½ inches thick.
- Place cut side down in a greased 11x7x2 inch pan.
- Leave spaces around slices.
- Reheat sugar syrup until hot, then pour over and around slices.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 40 – 45 minutes.
- Baste once or twice with bubbling syrup while baking.
- Let cool about 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.