Maple Walnut Biscotti
Purchased from the Wagner Estate in Wichita Falls, Texas in 1990. This one was marked “Joy’s favorite cookie”. Recipe obtained from Vivian at church bake sale in 1977. Actual date unknown.
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- ½ cup white corn meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a cookie sheet with vegetable oil.
- Sift together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- Lightly beat the eggs and add them to the flour mixture.
- Stir in the maple syrup, vanilla and walnuts mixing just until the dough is smooth.
- Using a rubber spatula and floured hands, scoop half of the dough out of the bowl and onto one side of the baking sheet.
- Shape the dough into a long log.
- Make a second log on the other side of the baking tray with the remaining dough.
- Space the logs at least 6 inch apart.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the top of each biscotti log is firm.
- Remove them with a long spatula to a wire rack and cool for 10–15 minutes.
- Cut each log on a severe diagonal into about 20 inch thick slices and place them cut side down on the baking sheet.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 and bake 15 minutes.