Mardi Gras Peppers
- Makes 6 servings
- 6 whole bell peppers (2 yellow, 2 red, 2 green)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1½ pounds lean ground beef or ground pork
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green peppers
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- hot pepper sauce to taste
- 4 cups cooked rice
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- Cut off top of peppers; remove seeds and membranes and wash thoroughly.
- Blanch in boiling water for 3 minutes; set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add beef, onions, pepper, celery and garlic.
- Saute 4 to 5 minutes or until meat is browned and vegetables are tender.
- Add mushrooms and chicken broth.
- Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Add tomato sauce, butter, thyme and pepper sauce.
- Simmer 7 to 9 minutes.
- Add rice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon mixture into pepper cups.
- Sprinkle cups with bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 to 15 minutes.