This is a recipe for traditional Pizza Margherita according to the rules proposed by the Associazione Vera Pizza Napoletana.
Making the Base
For the base:
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 400 g wheat flour (type 0 or 00, or a mixture of both)
- Pinch of salt
Disolve the yeast in water and let is stand for a few minutes till there's a froth on the top. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix together until you have a slightly sticky dough. By hand, knead the dough for five to ten minutes or so then place the dough in a large bowl and cover it. Let it stand in a cool place until it's doubled in size (up to 2 hours, but you can leave it for up to 8 hours before using it).
After the rising process, the dough must be formed by hand without the help of a rolling pin or other machine (the rolling makes it tough), and may be no more than 3 millimetres (0.12 in) thick. The pizza must be baked for 60–90 seconds in a 485 °C (905 °F) stone oven with an oak-wood fire.
For the topping you'll need:
- Olive oil
- San Marzano tomatoes
- Fresh basil leaves
- Fresh mozzarella di bufala Campana
Spread the tomato sauce or chopped tinned tomatoes on the base leaving a little sauce free border around the edge of the dough. Slice the mozarella and spread it on the base then add the basil and sprinkle with olive oil.
Cook until the base is crisp and brown and the topping is cooked. When cooked, it should be crispy, tender and fragrant.
- ↑ Associazione Vera Pizza Napoletana
- ↑ Naples pizza makers celebrate EU trademark status, BBC News, 4 February 2010, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8499611.stm
- ↑ "Publication of an application pursuant to Article 8(2) of Council Regulation (EC) No 509/2006 on agricultural products and foodstuffs as traditional specialties guaranteed – Pizza napoletana (2008/C 40/08)", OJEU, 14 February 2009, http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:C:2008:040:0017:0025:EN:PDF
- ↑ "Selezione geografica". Europa.eu.int. 2009-02-23. http://europa.eu.int/comm/agriculture/qual/it/147_it.htm. Retrieved 2009-04-02.
- ↑ "Vera Pizza Napoletana Specification | Verace Pizza Napoletana". Fornobravo.com. 2004-05-24. http://www.fornobravo.com/vera_pizza_napoletana/VPN_spec.html. Retrieved 2009-04-02.