Mclean Estate Beer Batter Onion Rings
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Mclean Estate in Irving, Texas in 1982. From "Catsrecipes Y-Group"
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup beer
- 4 cups shortening for frying purposes
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 large onions
- Combine flour and beer in a large bowl blending thoroughly.
- Cover and allow batter to sit at room temperature for at least 3 hours.
- Afterwards gently stir in the sugar and salt.
- Cut onions into one-fourth inch or larger slices then separate into rings.
- Heat shortening to 375°F.
- Dry sliced rings and roll in flour then dip onion rings into batter and fry until delicate golden brown.
- The batter can be made thicker by adding more flour or thinner by adding more beer.
- "Catsrecipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/Catsrecipes/ Catsrecipes Y-Group