Mo-Mos and Khotes
- Source: Hot & Spicy by Marlena Spieler, 1985, Jeremy P. Tarcher Inc.
- Posted by Linda Davis
- Pour hot water over flour; mix with fork.
- When cool enough to handle, finish mixing with your hands until dough holds together.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until chilled through.
- Work one piece of dough at a time; pinch off a walnut-sized chunk, shape into a ball, knead several times, then roll flat on a floured board.
- Place dough circle in the palm of your hand; in the middle of the dough, place about 1 tbsp filling. Bring up edges and seal at top with little gathers.
- Leave a tiny hole at top for steam to escape during cooking.
- Line steamer or bottom of skillet with kale leaves.
- Top with a layer of dumplings and steam over boiling water 15 to 20 minutes.
- If using a skillet use just enough water to cushion the Mo-Mos; replenish water as needed.
- Serve immediately, pairing Mo-Mos with soy sauce, ginger, and vinegar. May also be served with Achar.
- Combine all ingredients.
- Melt butter in skillet.
- Add onion and garlic and cook over low heat until onion is limp.
- Add chiles and spices and cook a minute or two longer.
- Add broccoli and red bell pepper. Cook until they are crisp-tender.
- Add mashed potatoes, cilantro, yogurt, lime, and salt and cayenne to taste.