Moules Marinières   there are many versions of this recipe, in Belgium it's served with frites and mayonnaise.
- 9 pounds of mussels
- 1 large white onion, peeled and finely chopped
- white part of 1 leek, finely chopped
- some celery leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- pepper, preferably white
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Clean and scrub mussels under cold water.
- Discard any that have cracked shells, or do not close when tapped.
- Debeard the mussels. (pull out strands sticking out from the one side)
- Include onion, leek, celery leaves, butter in a large pot.
- Using a gentle heat, constantly stir.
- Achieve a softening of the onion and leek, ~15 min. (do not brown them)
- Include wine and bay leaf.
- Bring to boil, then include the mussels.
- Cover pan, adjust heat to medium.
- Occasionally shake to turn the mussles, ~4-5 min.
- Remove lid, stir, then leave to boil for ~1 min.
- Sprinkle with pepper and parsley, serve immediately.
- Serve with spoons.