Mustard Greens and Ham Hocks
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Morgan Estate in Austin, Texas in 1982. From "Catsrecipes Y-Group"
- 2 pounds mustard greens
- 2 pounds green cabbage
- 3 ham hocks smoked
- 3 quarts water
- 1 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 4 medium potatoes peeled and cut into quarters
- Wash greens thoroughly and drain them by shaking off any excess water.
- Remove the very thick part of the stems from the greens and coarsely chop the leaves.
- Cut the cabbage into quarters and cut the core from the cabbage pieces.
- Coarsely chop the cabbage and set aside.
- Put the ham hocks and enough cold water to cover them in a large saucepan over high heat.
- Heat to boiling then reduce heat to simmering and cook hocks covered for 1½ hours.
- Stir in the chopped greens, salt, pepper, sugar and thyme then cook 30 minutes longer.
- Add cabbage and potatoes and cook for 30 minutes.
- "Catsrecipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/Catsrecipes/ Catsrecipes Y-Group