Nicoise Tuna Sandwich
From Recidemia English
- ¼ of white onion, thinly sliced
- ⅛ of a small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, plus additional to taste
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus additional to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 x 6-ounce can tuna packed in olive oil (see above) including olive oil
- lemon juice to taste
- 2 kaiser rolls, plain
- lettuce leaves, combination of Boston, green-leaf, or other green leafy lettuce
- 8 tomato slices
- 6 – 8 hard-boiled eggs slices
- 4 anchovy fillets, drained
- niçoise olives
- scallions, chopped
- radishes, sliced
- Combine the red and white onion with 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil,1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar, ¼ teaspoon salt, and several grinds of black pepper in a bowl.
- Using your hands, mix and squeeze everything together for 5 minutes. (Don't rush through this part; the onions need time to release their juices and mellow.)
- Work in can of tuna in olive oil, including the oil.
- Season with fresh lemon juice, red-wine vinegar, and salt, then add pepper to taste.
- Cut kaiser rolls in half crosswise and spread each bottom half with lettuce leaves.
- Use a couple of varieties—whatever looks good—for the difference in texture.
- On top of each lettuce layer, arrange 4 tomato slices (skip this step if you don't have good — really good — tomatoes on hand).
- Then add about half the tuna mixture and 3 to 4 slices of hard-boiled egg.
- Crisscross each sandwich with 2 drained anchovy fillets and strew with niçoise olives (pit them if desired), chopped scallion greens, and sliced radishes.
- Then drizzle generously with more olive oil and top with the remaining kaiser halves, pressing gently but firmly.