Opelousas Oyster Gumbo
Makes 6 servings
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup chopped green peppers
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon thyme leaves
- dash ground red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ pound peeled, deveined raw shrimp
- 1 pint oysters with liquid
- gumbo filé
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Brown flour in butter until it is a deep red-brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning.
- Add green peppers, onion and garlic.
- Cook until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in water, parsley, salt, black pepper, thyme, red pepper and bay leaf.
- Add shrimp and oysters with liquid.
- Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes longer until shrimp are pink and oysters begin to curl.
- Remove from heat and add gumbo file to taste.
- Serve in shallow bowls over fluffy rice.