- Preheat a paella or large sauté pan with a tight-fitting cover.
- Heat the olive oil in the pan, then add the rice, pepper, tomato, garlic, and paprika.
- Stirring constantly, cook for 2 minutes, or until the rice is lightly toasted.
- Add the broth, Tabasco, and saffron or turmeric and bring to a boil, then low the heat.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, green peas, , and green onions or scallions, and cook until the rice is tender-about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken, seafood, or grilled turkey burgers, if desired.
- Remove from the heat and set aside for 5 minutes before serving.