Paraguayan Winter Squash Soup
- In a large, non-aluminum saucepan, warm the butter over medium heat.
- Stir in the onions, carrots, and garlic.
- Cook for 3 minutes and then cover the pan.
- Lower heat and cook for 3 or 4 more minutes, until the vegetables are very tender.
- Stir in the tomato puree, chilies, butternut squash, and chicken broth.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Mash the squash pieces with a potato masher or the back of a spoon (the soup does not need to be completely smooth), season to taste (optional) and serve.
- Pass lime wedges to be squeezed into each bowl of soup.
- Serve with corn bread.