Pasta with Green Vegetables and Herbs
Mixing aromatic herbs like mint and basil with asparagus and peas creates a beautiful green dish. Salty feta sparks it up.
ChupaNote: the only change I made to this recipe was to replace the black pepper with 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes. I ended up sprinkling more on the finished dish. I used whole wheat pasta.
- Source: Gourmet, Quick Kitchen, June 2007
- Formatted by Chupa Babi in MC: 06.20.07
- Makes 4 servings
- 1 pound thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 pound linguine
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- 4½ ounces feta, crumbled (1 cup)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- Cook asparagus in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling well-salted water until just tender, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Transfer with a slotted spoon to a large heatproof bowl, then add peas to boiling water and cook 2 minutes.
- Transfer peas with slotted spoon to bowl with asparagus, then add linguine to boiling water and cook until al dente.
- While linguine cooks, pulse basil, mint, oil, salt, pepper, and ½ cup feta in a food processor until chopped, then add to vegetables.
- Reserve ½ cup pasta-cooking water, then drain pasta in a colander.
- Stir reserved cooking water into vegetables, then add pasta, parsley, scallions, and remaining ½ cup feta and toss.
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/