Cracked pepper adds a nice texture difference between the creamy cheese, tender meat, and the toasted bun, and complements the chipotle mayo.
- 1 pound ground chuck steak
- 1/4 cup cracked black peppercorns, plus more if needed
- 4 slices of your favorite smooth-melting cheese, room temperature (optional)
- Dijon mustard
- 4 hamburger buns, halved
- Chipotle mayo, recipe below
- Shape beef into 4 equal patties. Brush with Dijon mustard on both sides and sprinkle liberally with kosher salt on both sides.
- Place peppercorns in a pie pan. Press patties lightly on both sides into pepper. Set aside.
- Heat about 25 charcoal briquets in a large chimney starter. Reapply grate.
- Add burgers and cook, turning often, until internal temperature reaches 143 degrees F for medium rare, 157 for medium, and 167 for well/toast.
- Remove to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes. If using cheese, place one slice on top of each patty. Meanwhile, toast buns on the grill.
- Spread buns with chipotle mayo. Add a patty on top of the bottom half of a bun and top with the other half. Serve warm.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2-4 chipotle chiles, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Whisk together all ingredients until well combined. Refrigerate until needed.