The seasoning of this soup may vary from regions of Africa.
- 2 lbs goat meat, lamb or mutton diced (beef for stew can also be used)
- 1 – 2 onions, quartered
- 2 – 3 hot chili peppers, cleaned and chopped
- 4 cups meat broth or stock
- 2 tbsp ground dried shrimp
- 1 small bunch fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh or dried utazi leaves (or bitterleaf)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- anise pepper and anise seeds
- coriander seeds
- cumin seeds
- dried ginger
- fennel seeds
- tamarind pulp
- In a deep pot or dutch oven, combine meat, onions, chile peppers, and a cup of water.
- Bring to a boil and cook until meat is done, simmer for 20 – 30 minutes, adding water as necessary to keep pot from becoming dry.
- Add the seasoning and the broth or stock (or water) and simmer over low heat for ten to twenty minutes.
- Add the dried shrimp, mint leaves, and utazi leaves.
- Add salt and pepper according to taste.
- Simmer until soup is to be served.
- Make a mix from the seasoning mix ingredients.