Persian Polo Chicken
I got this recipe from my upstairs neighbor who is Persian and always has the most wonderful smells coming out of her house
- 500 g basmati rice
- 1 medium onion
- 5 tablespoons margarine or oil
- 1 large roasting chicken, jointed
- salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon raisins (or more)
- 150 g dried apricots
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- Fry the onion in 3 tbsp of margarine or oil until golden, add the chicken pieces and brown on all sides.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, add raisins and apricots, and continue to cook for a minute or two longer, turning the fruit in the fat.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, cover with water and simmer gently, covered, until the chicken is very tender and the sauce reduced.
- Bone the chicken if you like.
- Wash and cook the rice, but do not steam it.
- It should be just partially cooked.
- Put 2 tbsp melted margarine or oil at the bottom of a large heavy saucepan.
- Spread half of the partly cooked rice over this, cover with the chicken pieces, pour the rich fruity sauce over them and cover with the remaining rice.
- Cover the pan with a cloth, put the lid on tightly, and steam over a very low heat for 20 to 30 minutes.
- The cloth will capture the steam rising from the rice and help to make it fluffy.
- Serve all mixed together.