- Yield 6 cups of Pineapple snow and 2 cups of soft custard sauce.
- 1 tbsp unflavored gelatin (1 pkg)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ cup water
- 1½ cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 egg whites
Soft custard sauce (optional)
- Combine gelatin, sugar and salt in saucepan.
- Add water.
- Place over low heat, stirring constantly until gelatin is dissolved.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in pineapple juice.
- Chill until mixture begins to thicken.
- Add egg whites and beat with electric beater until mixture begins to hold its shape.
- Spoon into dessert dishes.
- Chill until firm.
- Serve plain or with soft custard sauce.
Soft custard sauce
- Combine all sauce ingredients except vanilla.
- Cook in double boiler over hot, not boiling, water.
- Stir constantly. When custard coats a silver spoon, remove from heat.
- Cool at once by placing pan in a bowl of ice water.
- Stir in vanilla. Serve over fruit or gelatin.
¾ cup serving pineapple snow without sauce:
- 45 calories | ½ fruit exchange 1.7 gm protein | 0 fat | 9.5 gm carbohydrate | 45.9 mg sodium | 96.4 mg potassium | 0 fiber | 0 cholesterol
¼ cup serving of sauce:
- 47 calories | ½ skim milk exchange 3.1 gm protein | 1.5 gm fat | 5.4 gm carbohydrate | 107.5 mg sodium | 92.4 mg potassium | 0 fiber | 69 mg cholesterol.