Here is a unique soup for all you adventurous chefs:) Please do not let your plantains turn yellow-black because they will turn sweet. Must use green plantains.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic.
- Cook, uncovered, for 3–4 minutes, or until onions are soft but not brown.
- Add 4 cups of chicken stock/broth and bring to boil over high heat.
- Add plantains, most of the cilantro (reserve a few tablespoons for garnish), cumin, and bay leaf.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Return to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered for 40–50 minutes or until plantains very tender.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Transfer half the soup to blender; puree until smooth.
- Return to the pan.
- If soup is too thick, add a little more stock/broth.
- Season with more salt/cumin if desired.