Polenta with Vegetable Ragout
- 4 cups cold water or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup stock or water
- 1 cup diced yellow onions
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced in ½" rounds
- 2 cup sliced asparagus, 1" lengths
- 3 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1½ cups tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- goat cheese for garnish
- Bring water to a boil in a medium-size saucepan and add the rosemary and salt.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and slowly add cornmeal, whisking constantly.
- Cook over low heat, still stirring, until mixture is thick, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan until melted.
- If you are planning to the polenta in a soft state, you can keep it mushy by adding water and occasionally stirring until the sauce is ready.
- If you plan to bake it pour the polenta into a lightly oiled shallow baking dish, smooth top and let cool for 1 hour, or up to 24 hours.
- When you are ready to bake the polenta, remove from refrigerator, run a knife around the inside of the pan and turn on a flat surface.
- Cut into squares and place on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for about 15 minutes or until the tops begins to brown lightly.
- For the sauce: bring a cup of vegetable stock to a simmer in a saucepan.
- Add the onions and cook, covered, until they are transparent, about 15 minutes.
- Add zucchini, asparagus, and mushrooms and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, parsley, garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook another 5 minutes, spoon mixture over bowl of soft polenta or 2 squares of baked polenta.
- Garnish with goat cheese and serve at once.
- 238 calories | 13g pro | 38g carb | 6g fat (20%)
- Exchanges: 2.7 vegetable | 1.6 bread | .9 meat | .2 fat