Pollo a la Catalana
- Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
This Y-group is international. Good food from all parts of the world. A place where we can share the wonderful food from all over the world.
- Serves 4 to 6
- 2 – 3 lbs (900-1350 g) chicken parts
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 3 – 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 x 3-inch (8 cm) piece of cinnamon stick
- ½ cup (125 ml) white wine, chicken stock, or water
- ¼ cup (60 ml) blanched almonds
- 1 oz (28 g) unsweetened chocolate or 3 tbsp (45 ml) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grated lemon zest
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) powdered saffron
- Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the chicken, garlic, onion, and cinnamon stick.
- Cook the chicken slowly, covered over low heat, until browned on all sides.
- Meanwhile, combine the wine, almonds, chocolate, lemon zest, and saffron in a food processor or electric blender and process to form a paste.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the skillet and simmer covered until the chicken is very tender, about 45 minutes.
- Discard the cinnamon stick before serving.