Pollo alla Contadina
Chicken as the farmer's wife would make, copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All rights reserved.
- Show: Molto Mario
- Episode: Contadino II
From "Catsrecipes Y-Group"
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (2½ to 3-pound) fryer chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup flour, for dredging
- 2 baking potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 medium red onion, cut into ¼-inch dice
- ½ pound cremini mushrooms, halved
- 1 sprig rosemary
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, chopped to yield ¼ cup
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat the oil until almost smoking.
- While the oil heats, season the chicken with salt and pepper, dredge each piece in the flour, and cook in the oil, working in batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- Cook the chicken until it is golden brown on all sides.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add the potatoes to the pan and cook 2 minutes, until beginning to brown.
- Add the onions and cook 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, rosemary and tomato paste, stir to distribute the tomato paste and cook 10 minutes, reducing the heat if necessary to avoid burning.
- Return the chicken to the pan and add the wine and enough water so that the cooking liquid reaches halfway up the sides of the chicken.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with the pan juices.
- "Catsrecipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/Catsrecipes/ Catsrecipes Y-Group