Makes 8 servings.
- 3 cup water
- ¾ cup bulgur wheat
- ½ cup short-grain rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup light raisins
- ¼ cup dried currants
- ¼ cup chopped pitted dates
- ¼ cup chopped dried apricots
- ¼ cup orange juice
- chopped walnuts or chopped almonds
- In a medium saucepan combine water, bulgur wheat, uncooked rice, and salt.
- Bring to boiling, reduced heat.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add milk, sugar, light raisins, currants, dates, apricots and orange juice.
- Cook, uncovered, over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Spoon into serving bowls, sprinkle each serving with walnuts or almonds.
- Serve warm or chilled.