Quick Cassoulet I
Vive la France! Real bistro cooking - quick and tasty. This one comes from the Canadian Bean Council via Vicki Gabereau's CBC radio program. (On occasion, I have been known to double both the wine and the beans ... heck, I ALWAYS do it!)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
- ½ lb hot Italian sausage, cut in ½ inch slices
- 3 medium carrots, sliced thinly
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup dry red wine 
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 ounces) can pork and beans in tomato sauce
- chopped parsley
- In a large, lidded stovetop casserole, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown the chicken, and remove.
- Brown the sausage.
- Add the chicken, carrots, onion and garlic and saute for 2 additional minutes.
- Drain off the fat.
- Stir in the wine, bay leaf, thyme and pepper.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 – 20 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Stir in the beans and heat through.
- Sprinkle parsley on top.