Red Beans and Rice Creole-style
Makes 10 servings
- 1 cup dry red beans
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage, cut into ½-inch slices
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 x 28-ounce can peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- ½ cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- Wash beans.
- Soak beans in water overnight (or, for quick soak method, bring beans and hot water to boil and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand 1 hour).
- Brown sausage in large saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon fat.
- Add onions and garlic to pan; cook until tender.
- Add beans and soaking liquid, salt, marjoram, and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer 1½ hours, or until beans are almost tender.
- Drain and chop tomatoes, reserving liquid.
- Add tomatoes, reserved liquid, and rice to beans.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover; simmer 10 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Add celery and green pepper; cover and simmer an additional 15 minutes, stirring once or twice, until rice is tender.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve with warm corn bread, if desired.