cooking and prep time. 45 minutes.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 to 4 outer leaves iceberg or romaine lettuce
- 1 lb ground pork or veal or meatloaf mix
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine (preferably Shaoxing) or medium-dry sherry
- 1 bunch scallions (white and pale green parts only), minced (1/3 cup)
- ½ cup canned water chestnuts, diced (¼ inch) rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- While waiting to prepare the meat soak the rice in hot water.
- Place steamer rack inside of a skillet and fill the bottom with water till it almost touchs the rack. line the rack with lettuce
- Mix all the ingredients excluding the rice together, drain the rice and place it in a small open faced bowl.
- Form the meat mixtures into small balls and roll them in the rice bowl to cover them in rice.
- Steam the balls in the skillet for approx 25 minutes.