Rice and Beans Casserole
Very popular and nutritious dish for vegetarians. Makes enough for 4 people.
- 225 g / 8 oz long-grain rice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 chilli finely chopped
- 350 g / 2 oz tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 225 g / 8 oz cooked red beans
- 600 ml / 1 pt water or stock
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan.
- Add onion and garlic and fry until soft and translucent.
- Add the chilli, tomatoes, and peppers and cook until thick and well blended season with salt, stir in the beans mixing well and add the rice and water.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes until rice is tender and all water is well absorbed.
- Stir and serve hot.