Rice and Lentil Salad
The lentil is a staple food throughout the Middle East. Lentils provide protein and can be substituted for meat.
- Fruits and Veggies Matter Child Recipe Cards by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Serves: 6
- 2 cups water
- 1 x 14½ ounce can vegetable broth
- ½ cup brown lentils
- 1 cup basmati or long-grain rice
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 large tomato, chopped
- 1 tbsp capers, drained
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- In a 3-quart saucepan over high heat, heat water and vegetable broth to boiling.
- Add lentils; cover and simmer 25 minutes.
- Add basmati rice and salt to simmering mixture.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes longer or until rice and lentils are tender.
- Remove from heat; stir in green pepper, tomatoes, capers, olive oil, and lemon juice.
- Toss to mix well.
- Serve warm, or refrigerate to serve cold later.
- Lentils come in many different colors such as red and green. Any color can be substituted in this recipe.