Roasted Beet Borscht
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Mason Estate in Abbott, Texas in 1999. From "Catsrecipes Y-Group"
- 4 medium size red beets, greens removed
- 2 medium size white onions cut in half and thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup canned chopped tomatoes with their juices
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Wrap beets securely in two layers of aluminum foil and place on the middle shelf in the oven and roast for 2 hours.
- Remove from oven and unwrap.
- When beets are cool enough to handle use a sharp knife to peel them and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan combine beets with the onions, cabbage, tomatoes, and broth then season with kosher salt.
- Place over medium high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat then partially cover the saucepan and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add vinegar and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Serve in preheated soup bowls.
- "Catsrecipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/Catsrecipes/ Catsrecipes Y-Group